Just one of those days…

Not sure where to start, but guess the start of the day is good enough.

Started the day off by not getting much sleep at all, didn’t get to sleep until 5:59 am (According to my FitBit) I only managed to get a few hours of sleep in before the pain woke me back up and wouldn’t let me get back to sleep, so ended up getting up at 8:14 am (again according to the Fitbit).

Not the way that I needed to start the day off at all since I had to see my endocrinologist at 1 pm, I didn’t want to be late for the appointment since I no longer live so close to the hospital as I once did I’m now a 30 to 45 min drive away or just over an hours transit ride away.

At any rate, when we got to my medical appointment, I noticed that the Farmers Market was taking place. I knew that it should be in operation as it happens every Tuesday – but in all honestly, I didn’t know if they had or hadn’t canceled this particular one, since other’s that I know of have been canceled. So it was a pleasant surprise to see it was there, even nicer than all venders we talked to now took debit whereas before all only took cash.

Of course, I had emergency cash on me, but being able to pay it by debit was helpful since it allowed us to get something that we otherwise wouldn’t have been able to get much. One of the venders had fresh picked Okra by the pint was 5.00 or two for 9.00 to some, not a great deal, but since the cost of Okra I have seen in stores like No Frills two for 9.00 is a good deal.

We got four field cucumbers, which on their own in the store is 2.00 plus. The four are of a decent size and weight, so again worth the price – part of me wishes I could have split the order between two cucumbers and two zucchini. Since it wasn’t a planned shop, getting what was gotten was a good surprise.

Sadly, walking around the market, spent my bodies reserves for being able to walk fully. Walking back to our car after having walked to my medical appointment, then over to the market – waking to the car was more then my body could handle, and halfway to the car I started to lose feeling below the waist and started to shuffle walk and stumble. I had to keep moving because if I had stopped moving I wouldn’t have been able to make it to our car. After all, the force I was putting into keeping things moving wouldn’t have been enough to get me moving again once stopped sadly.

Once at the car, and sitting I was good. No problem with driving or using my feet/legs. It is like sitting down whatever was stopping the single going from my spinal cord to my legs was released and the single was allowed to return to normal. But sadly, as soon as I got out of the car at Walmart there was no strength in my legs/lower back to allow me to go shopping so it was good that we have my chair with us.

Norman unloaded it and off we went, bleeping shoulder and all. I am supposed to not be using the shoulder. But either I went shopping with him to get our pups their food with some minor essentials for us or I sat in the car (in the heat without any cool air to be had) boiled and waited for Norman does to the shopping. Ya not going to happen if I can well help it, my shoulder protested almost the entire time we were in Walmart but so be it.

One thing is for sure, using the chair to shop in is still going to take getting used to. It is a constant reminder that most things are out of my reach, plus my ability to handle some items when picking them up can be its challenge (when my hands claw up and won’t release my fingers to grasp an item). One thing about the trip today was I wanted a yogurt that was on the highest shelf and a worker was restocking the shelves and he got it from the shelf and put it into the cart, that was great to have happened.

I’m upset that I couldn’t do it myself. Having a stranger being willing to do something like that without being asked was something I was not expecting to see, but it was welcomed and appreciated.

I’m still not using to not being able to reach things from my new respective. I am not sure I will ever get used to it or not. Though one thing for sure is the general public seems to take it upon themselves to avoid you when you are in an aisle. The number of people who just turned around while we were shopping in a particular aisle was fair high. It wasn’t as though they couldn’t have gotten past us (there was plenty of room for them to do so).

This is one thing that I noticed today while we were out at Walmart. Also, people don’t make eye contact anymore, something I am used to people making, even in passing. But it’s like no one wants to even make minimal eye contact to you when you are in a wheelchair, I don’t know why but it’s like they are scared, shammed or something that they don’t want to make contact or something.

Oh well, whatever. People will be as they are. I have to get used to my new reality and not let it make me feel less since without the chair I would be stuck in the car waiting for Norman to do the shopping and not being able to get a treat of my own since he wouldn’t have known to get it for me, as I didn’t know to get it until I saw it.

After Walmart, we had to stop off at Shoppers as I had gotten a TEXT saying that my Insulin Order was ready for pick up. Only to find out when I got there that it had been a semi mistake. Yes, my order was there, but their system had messed things up. I was supposed to have gotten it the same day as I picked up my first part of the order – but the person who got my medication had scanned the insulin into the system but hadn’t given it to me. Then put it back in the fridge and not give it to me.

It took almost 20 minutes for them to clear it up, all the while I was wondering if I was going to get my insulin or not. I was happy when it got figured out finally. So I guess the person who did the scan is likely going to get a talking to, or I assume that they will, who knows.

Well, that was the day, busy and painful. I know that tomorrow will not be pain-free, but I can hope that it will be less problematic.

Post more as time passes.



This entry was posted in My Health. Bookmark the permalink.