up black lentils
water for soaking the lentils
1/2 cup water for grinding the lentils
3 pods of garlic
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
2 green Serrano chilies, very finely chopped
1 red onion, thinly sliced
1 tbsp fresh thyme
1 tbsp finely chopped cilantro
1 cup oil for frying
chopped baby spinach to garnish
1. Wash the lentils well and soak in water for at least two hours.
2. Drain and rinse the lentils and place in a blender with 1/2 cup water.
3. Add in the garlic pods, salt, turmeric, and cumin seeds and grind to a smooth paste. The consistency of this should be a smooth, somewhat wet paste rather than a batter.
4. Place the paste into a mixing bowl and add the chilies, onions, thyme and cilantro and?mix well.
5. Heat the oil in a flat frying pan for about two to three minutes on medium heat. Test?the temperature with a small drop of the mixture, it should sizzle to the top.
6. Add about 2 tablespoons of the mixture in a few spaces, spreading them to allow?enough room to let the fritters fry without overcrowding each other.
7. Fry them for about three to four minutes on each side until a nice shade of golden.
8. Drain on paper towels.
9. Arrange on a serving platter and toss with spinach leaves before serving.
Makes around 15 medium sized fritters